Many of our projects are addressing issues related to how users interact with information systems and trying to improve the user experience. Our focus is very much on the engineering of interactive systems and we have developed a number of tools and frameworks that support developers from the initial design and prototyping through to evaluation and operation. Much of this research is at the intersection of information systems engineering, web engineering and human-computer interaction (HCI). While we are interested in how to design and develop web sites that offer a good user experience, we also use web technologies in many of our projects to facilitate the development process.
We are particularly interested in investigating how best to support and exploit new devices and modes of interaction. In the case of web engineering, we have investigated ways of supporting the development of context-aware and adaptive interfaces, including the use of crowdsourcing to allow end-users to perform and share adaptations. Given that it is now common for users to work with multiple devices in both home and work settings, we now have a number of projects exploring cross-device applications. These include projects addressing the need for methods and tools to support the design and development of cross-device applications as well as ones that allow users to dynamically distributed components of interfaces across devices.
- CTAT: Tilt-and-Tap Across Devices By Linda Di Geronimo, Maria Husmann, Abhimanyu Patel, Can Tuerk, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. 16th Intl. Conf. on Web Engineering (ICWE), Lugano, Switzerland, June 2016 (Best Paper Award) PDF
- Kinect Analysis: A System for Recording, Analysing and Sharing Multimodal Interaction Elicitation Studies By Michael Nebeling, David Ott, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. 7th ACM SIGCHI Symposium on Engineering Interactive Computing Systems (EICS 2015), Duisberg, Germany, June 2015 PDF
- Tilt-and-Tap: Framework to support Motion-Based Web Interaction Techniques By Linda Di Geronimo, Ersan Aras, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. 15th Intl. Conf. on Web Engineering (ICWE), Rotterdam, The Netherlands, June 2015 PDF
- XDSession: Integrated Development and Testing of Cross-Device Applications By Michael Nebeling, Maria Husmann, Christoph Zimmerli, Giulio Valente, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. 7th ACM SIGCHI Symposium on Engineering Interactive Computing Systems (EICS 2015), Late Breaking Result, Duisberg, Germany, June 2015 PDF
- Beyond Responsive Design: Adaptation to Touch and Multitouch By Michael Nebeling, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. 14th Intl Conf. on Web Engineering (ICWE), Toulouse, France, July 2014 PDF
- Engineering Information Management Tools by Example By Michael Nebeling, Matthias Geel, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. Intl. Working Conf. on Advanced Visual Interfaces (AVI 2014), Como, Italy, May 2014 PDF
- Interactive Development of Cross-Device User Interfaces By Michael Nebeling, Theano Mintsi, Maria Husmann, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. 32nd ACM SIGCHI Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2014), Toronto, Canada, April 2014 PDF
- MultiMasher: Providing Architectural Support and Visual Tools for Multi-Device Mashups By Maria Husmann, Michael Nebeling, Stefano Pongelli, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. 15th Intl. Conf. on Web Information Systems Engineering (WISE 2014), Thessaloniki, Greece, October 2014 (Best Paper Award) PDF
- Spatial Querying of Geographical Data with Pen-Input Scopes By Fabrice Matulic, David Caspar, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. ACM Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces 2014 Conference (ITS 2014), Dresden, Germany, November 2014 PDF
- Web on the Wall Reloaded: Implementation, Replication and Refinement of User-Defined Interaction Sets By Michael Nebeling, Alexander Huber, David Ott, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. ACM Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces 2014 Conference (ITS 2014), Dresden, Germany, November 2014 (Best Paper Honorable Mention Award) PDF
- XDKinect: Development Framework for Cross-Device Interaction using Kinect By Michael Nebeling, Elena Teunissen, Maria Husmann, Moira C. Norrie in Proc. 6th ACM SIGCHI Symposium on Engineering Interactive Computing Systems (EICS 2014), Rome, Italy, June 2014 (Best Paper Award) PDF